One of the most effective ways to remain balanced any time of year is to establish a daily routine, incorporating the same Ayurvedic techniques at essentially the same time every day. Here is an example of an Ayuvredic routine for the Vata season:
- Wake up at the same time every day before the sun rises, generally before 6am
- Take advantage of the quiet, stillness and peace of the morning
- Scrape your tongue when you brush your teeth
- Give yourself a self-massage with warm, organic sesame oil
- Use a nasya oil in your nostrils to keep them moisturized
- Take a warm shower. Use a body oil to moisturize after your shower to retain moisture
Practice some gentle yoga (a few Sun A’s) and practice 10-15 minutes of meditation
- Wear warm fall colors (reds, yellows, oranges, etc.) during the day and wear enough layers to keep yourself warm. Take care to keep your neck, ears, head, hands and feet warm
- Wear warm, sweet and grounding fragrances that balance Vata, like patchouli, vetiver, geranium, cinnamon, clove, orange, rose, clove and vanilla. You can wear or diffuse essential oils during the day and evening (It is wonderful to diffuse essential oils in your office during the day and in your bedroom at night while you sleep.)
- Avoid loud noises and aggressive music, opting instead for soft, low, mellow tones (Look for Vata balancing music and sounds on Youtube to play in the background while you work during the day.)
- Eat warm, grounding, nourishing foods (with your heaviest meal at lunch)
- Be in bed with the lights off by 10pm
This schedule can seem daunting, but it really isn’t. Start out with one or two things and continue with those until they become habit. Then add on another technique and continue with it until your new routine becomes habit…and so on and so on and so on.
Have you read our other Vata-related posts on how the seasons affect you and how Ayurveda can help, plus what to eat as you navigate the Vata season? Our next blog on the Vata season will focus on exercise.
About the Author
Rochelle Barcellona is an animal-loving, family-and-friends-embracing, yoga-meditation-and-ayurveda-teaching, happy red-headed yogi who owns Nourish Mind Body & Spirit in Northern California. You may learn more about Rochelle here. Rochelle may be reached directly at email@example.com and 916-353-5200.
(Photo of Rochelle courtesy of Bella Barcellona Photography.)