Make your milk golden with turmeric. Have you heard of Golden Milk? It’s a tasty, warm beverage with ginormous (yup, that’s the word) health benefits. A traditional beverage in many Indian households, it has recently become popular in the US. Golden Milk is a regular part of my ayurvedic daily routine. I make myself a cup every evening in between dinner and bedtime. It warms and soothes me, prepares me for rest, and keeps evil germs and viruses at bay.
Check out this list of golden milk’s benefits, and then make a cup for yourself with the recipe listed below. Don’t drink cow’s milk? Then make it with almond milk, like I do. (So keep reading!)
- Its antiviral properties boost your immune system
- Its anti-viral and -bacterial properties fight infection and its anti-inflammatory properties relieve symptoms of the common cold if you do catch one
- It improves digestion, relieving gas, bloating, and heartburn
- It is a good liver tonic and blood purifier
- Improves skin and helps reduce acne and eczema
- Aids in relief of autoimmune disease symptoms
- Provides relief from stress and sinus headaches
- Reduces arthritic pain
- Improved reproductive health in women
- Possesses anti-cancer properties
- Improves sleep
You’d think will all of these great benefits that it must taste hideous, but it doesn’t. I love it. I don’t even sweeten it with honey. And frankly, this drink has become a replacement for dessert. With all of the colds and flu still going around, and the unpredictable weather sparking more illness, make Golden Milk a regular part of your evening routine to help your body stay healthy.
- 10oz milk (can be almond or other nut milk)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼+ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2-3 crushed black peppercorns, if desired
- touch of honey if you want it sweeter
- Place milk, spices, ghee, and peppercorns, if desired, in saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes. It will reduce to about one cup (8 oz).
- Add honey to taste if you want it sweeter.
- If you want to save time, mix up a bunch of golden milk paste by combining the ghee and spices in a container. Keep it in the refrigerator. Plop a tablespoon into 10 ounces of milk and simmer on the stove every time you want a glass. You can also replace the ghee with coconut oil and it will be shelf-stable and not need to be refrigerated.
“May you be happy. May you be well. May you be safe. May you be peaceful and at ease.” – Rochelle
About the Author
Rochelle Barcellona is an animal-loving, family-and-friends-embracing, yoga-meditation-and-ayurveda-teaching, happy red-headed yogi who owns Nourish Mind Body & Spirit in Northern California. You may learn more about Rochelle here. Rochelle may be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and 916-353-5200.
(Photo of Rochelle courtesy of Bella Barcellona Photography.)